Sony Ericsson is launching green initiatives with an environmental warranty and GreenHeart phones.
The Sony Ericsson's environmental warranty ensures that when any Sony Ericsson product is taken to a designated collection
point, Sony Ericsson will recycle this product in an environmentally
The warranty is valid globally, regardless of where the
product was originally purchased, as Sony Ericsson strives to show its
support for 'individual producer responsibility'.
The GreenHeart includes features such as bio-plastic housings, recycled
plastic keypads, zero charger with 3.5mW standby power, HTML based
e-manuals, a game style educational application 'Ecomate' and
environmentally conscious packaging.
This new initiative has now been initiated in India, Taiwan, China,
Thailand, Singapore USA and Mexico. To date, more than 500 collection
points are already in operation. Sony Ericsson intends to complete this
rollout by 2009 in all the countries in which it operates. The
company's solely-owned collection points will be primarily made
available in those countries where the current industry-standard system
of phone recycling have been judged to be too limited.
For Sony Ericsson's approach to sustainability is based on the following principles:
- Safeguarding future profitability in an environmentally conscious world
- Improving our influence on the living and working conditions of all those involved in the making of our products
- Making a positive impact on those who use our products
- Improving how our products and activities impact on the environment
Other areas that the company are committed to improve include:
- Supply chain social responsibility
- CO2 emissions from transport and other activities
- Reporting of impact on the environment
- Projects to improve global social conditions in the developing world by improving communications
- Community engagement where we operate
- Employee empowerment and engagement