Mobile ad network, Millennial Media has released its May Scorecard for Mobile Advertising Reach and Targeting. In the device department, the Samsung Instinct replaced the iPhone as number one handset on their list of the Top 20 Mobile Phones in May.
While the top two manufacturers (Samsung and Apple) remained at the #1 and #2 slots, Motorola edged out LG as the #3 device manufacturer on their network. Touchscreen device input increased overall as a segment by 6.5% month-over-month. The top carrier was Sprint, followed by Wi-Fi, Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, MetroPCS and Cricket. These figures may have do with Sprint's unlimited plan.
They observed changes over the Memorial Day Weekend:
- Wi-Fi usage over the Memorial Day holiday weekend dropped 10%, showing the "substitution effect"; travelers used Wi-Fi less, while traffic on thenetwork increased 11%
- Advertisers that increased spend in the two weeks prior to and leading into the Holiday Weekend reaped the benefits of mobile internet interactions:
- 12% overall interaction rate lift across key advertiser vertical categories
18% interaction rate lift in the auto vertical
9% interaction rate lift in the travel vertical.
- Mobile reached and engaged vacationers/people on the go over the holiday. During the Memorial Day weekend, vacationers and travelers relied on their mobile devices to stay connected, search for information, and make buying decisions.
Other Millennial Media Stats:
- Millennial Media now reaches approximately 43M or 73% of U.S. Mobile
Internet users (up from 56%), according to Nielsen's April Mobile
Report Standard Metrics.
- 40% of post-click actions leveraged device application functionality
(AppStore, Watch Video, Place call), while 60% utilized mobile
web-based browser interaction.
- 79.7% of campaigns drove users to specific microsites or expanding rich
media ad units, versus persistent destination sites.
To get the full report go here.