Android 3.1 is an incremental platform release with new components, including UI enhancements, external USB device connections (keyboards/mice), Wi-Fi lock, and more browser features
This is the update that mysteriously appeared and disappeared from the Verizon Xoom support page earlier this month.
Besides fixing bugs, after the update, encrypted passwords can be entered during power up. It adds a shortcut key for Bluetooth keyboards. Google Talk via Bluetooth is supported. Full versions of POP3 email will be displayed.
The Motorola Xoom update will add proxy support when connecting to Wi-Fi networks; support for SSL data transfers; support for WPA pre-shared key pass-phrases when using the device as a mobile hotspot; and support for Google's Widevine DRM and HDCP. Menu prompts will not make sounds in accessibility mode.
You will be notified that a system update is available on your tablet. Select Install now and your Xoom will power off and back on and the installation process will begin. We suggest that you back up your data before starting any update as well as to make sure that your Motorola Xoom is at least 40% charged.
You will not be able to use your Motorola Xoom during the update. You can check for the update by going to Settings > About tablet > System updates. Select "Install Now" when it becomes available.
Here a list of features included in the update:
- Android 3.1 adds broad platform support for a variety of USB-connected peripherals and accessories.such as keyboards, mice, game controllers and digital cameras.
- For improved multitasking and instant visual access to a much larger number of apps, the Recent Apps list is now expandable.
- For more flexible Home screen customization, users can now resize their Home screen widgets using drag bars provided by the system.
- The Launcher animation is optimized for faster, smoother transition to and from the Apps list.
- Accessibility is improved with consistent audible feedback throughout the UI.
- A new high-performance Wi-Fi lock lets applications maintain high-performance Wi-Fi connections even when the device screen is off, allowing for music to play.
- The Browser app includes Quick Controls, support of HTML/CSS.
- The Contacts app now lets you locate contacts more easily using full text search. Search returns matching results from all fields that are stored for a contact.
- When replying or forwarding an HTML message, the Email app now sends both plain text and HTML bodies as a multi-part mime message. It also now prefetches email from the server only when the device is connected to a Wi-Fi.