While the stars ascend to receive Oscars tonight, there are apps and mobile helpers for fans. The Academy of Motion Pictures has developed award-winning mobile apps and ways to participate in the red carpet event.
Even though Academy Award nominees are getting free star-spangled Droid RAZR MAXX red carpet edition smartphones, Android users who are 50% of the market can't download an official Oscar app. However, there's plenty going on online and on Twitter to keep mobile movie fans happy. Android users can also view the official Oscar's website.
This year's official Oscars App is available on the App Store for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch, giving fans special access to the 84th Academy Awards with cameras located where the "regular" TV audience doesn't see as well as an Oscar winner game.
It's nice to see that Miss Piggy's Tweet:
"Just got into my gorgeous gown designed by Zac Posen. Get ready to join me on the best-dressed lists, Zac! Kissy kissy! #Oscars"
We're sure she's going to look gorgeous.
During the Red Carpet show on Oscar Backstage Pass, you can tweet questions for your favorite star directly to the hosts using the hashtag #RedCarpetQA. Our hosts will ask your questions to the stars as they walk down the Red Carpet!
OSCAR TWITTER HASHTAGS TO USE:
- #Oscars - for Oscar related Tweets.
- #Bestdressed - Tweet who is the best dressed.
- #RedCarpetQA - asked questions of the stars on the red carpet.
- #CelebrateTheMovies - to share your favorite movies.
OSCAR ACCOUNTS TO FOLLOW:
Oscars stickers are available from GetGlue, a social network that enables entertainment check-ins and conversations.
About the Oscars App:
The Oscars App is designed to be the ultimate compliment to the live telecast with exclusive live cameras strategically placed on the Red Carpet, throughout the Kodak Theatre, and at the Governors Ball, which.
Special cameras include the Thank You Cam, Backstage Cam, Control Room Cam and Press Room Cam.
New features of the app this year include:
- A much larger pre-show presence in a new magazine-style format and new iOS 5 Twitter integration - the latest social media buzz.
- All video views are tracked through iCloud so viewers can keep track of what video they've watched regardless of the iOS device they are on.
- Access to the hugely popular "Oscar My Picks," an interactive play-along game that offers fans a chance to test their Oscar prediction skills. Once they fill out their ballot they can share and view their friends picks on Facebook. On Oscar Sunday, users play along during the show and predict category winners ahead of the opening of the envelopes. The app will refresh and calculate your results as categories are won.
- Viewers can watch the live experience in two different modes: Watch or Direct. In Watch mode, the viewer will be guided through the live behind-the-scenes show. In the Direct mode, the viewer can select the cameras they want to use.
- This year's app will have a live video grid so the viewer can watch all available cameras at once or zero in on one that looks the most interesting to them.
- Once in a camera view, a ticker will display over the video to tell viewers what is happening on other cameras. That way, if a fan's favorite actor enters another view, they can jump to it quickly and easily.