Dealnews conducted a reader survey and discovered that 55% of current iPad owners said they would update to the third generation. Unfortunately for RIM no one 0% said they would buy a BlackBerry PlayBook.
78% of non-tablet owners who are planning on buying their first device within the next year said they'll spring for the newest offering from Apple. And, of the people who aren't buying the new iPad (the remaining 22%), almost half will buy a previous generation — specifically, 60% plan on buying the iPad 2 within the next six months. Why? Because the iPad 2 is now cheaper.
It's also worth noting that the other half of that 22% said they would buy an Android tablet over any Apple iPad. But since this lumped together all Android models, the iPad 2 comes out ahead, thus making it the second most popular tablet amongst first-time buyers.
The survey was conducted before iPad Thermogeddon when we learned you could use the new iPad for a frying pan and heating pad. It should also keep you coffee warmer too for only $499 for the lowest Wi-Fi model.