In the "we told you so" department T-Mobile is the first carrier to update the Samsung Galaxy S II to Android 4.03 Ice Cream Sandwich(ICS).
T-Mobile is offering an update via the Kies (PC/MAC) software and a USB cable. The update became available at 8:00 PM PST on Monday.
The update will wipe out the users' homescreen layout but data should remain fine. However, as with any update, be sure you backup your data first, make sure your phone is at least 50% charged and be aware that you won't be able to make or receive emergency calls during the process. The update is optional.
The update to Android 4.03 is named T989UVLE1.
T-Mobile is the first carrier to offers the update, like last time. In previous updates to the Samsung Galaxy S line of smartphones, T-Mobile offered the first update for the Vibrant, then Sprint for the Samsung Epic 4G, Samsung Captivate (AT&T) and then Samsung Fascinate Captivate. The updates to Froyo took even longer with the Captivate from AT&T getting the update last.
Improvements of the Update:
- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS).
- CMAS improvement - for emergency alerts about weather and from the President.
- Wi-Fi Calling enhancements.
- Voicemail enhancements.
- TouchWiz improvements include new Face unlocks/lockscreen features, Android Beam, motion gestures, revamping of settings menu, customized launch bar and apps menus (see details at T-Mobile).
- Prerequisites : Android version 2.3.6 / Software version T989UVKID/KL1/LDE updateow
How to Update your Samsung Galaxy S II via Kies:
- On the PC, open the Kies application.
- Connect the device to the computer using the included USB cable.
- Once Kies recognizes the device, a popup window will appear.
- Click Update.
- Read the Caution statements and select the I have read... check box.
- If desired, select Allow saving to back up the device. If not, select Proceed without saving.
- Click Start Upgrade.
- The software will download to the PC, and then to the device.
- When the update is done a notice will appear.
- Click OK to confirm.