The Samsung Galaxy S II Samsung Epic 4G touch is getting the update to Android 4.04, starting today.
The T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II received the update to Android 4.03 on June 12 while AT&T users got their Ice Cream Sandwich treats on June 26 via Kies software. This software version S:D710.10S.FF18 includes Android 4.04 Ice Cream sandwich and will be released in stages. The roll out is from 7/12 through 7/20. So, you should receive the upgrade sometime between those dates.
If you are getting ready for the update be sure to backup your data first and have your battery fully charged or at least %50. Some forum members have noticed that the Facebook contacts do not show the photos correctly after the update. We have included some of the changes noted in previous updates, so that you will be prepared.
We can look at the changes found on the AT&T model to see what to expect. Some things will be reset:
- Home screens: Items that have been added to the home screen, such as home screens that have been added/removed, applications, widgets, and wallpaper (if the current wallpaper is not supported by ICS) are reset to default. Lock screen images will be preserved.
- Application Menu: The application menu sorting, folders and home keys will be reset. Downloaded applications will be preserved.
- Contact Groups: All Contacts and Contact groups will remain. However. contacts within the contact groups will be removed.
- Email: Email accounts that were added as a Social Hub or Samsung premium account will be removed.
- Music: Music playlists and settings (Equalizer,Sound effect, Music menu) will be reset during the update.
- Bluetooth: Paired bluetooth devices will be removed during the reset.
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich adds some features such as Android Beam, Face Unlock, a new UI and improved camera (see all features and video). Note the Sprint version of the Samsung Galaxy S II does not support NFC therefore Android beam will not work.