The top best greenest smartphones include the Motorola Citrus, iPhone 4S, LG Remarq, Samsung Captivate, iPhone 5 and Samsung Evergreen. In the green department, the iPhone 5 scores 2.75 while the Samsung Galaxy S III scored 2.99 according to HeathlyStuff.org (read iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S III comparison).
The sales of both super smartphones have been excellent with each one with different features. The Samsung Galaxy S III may have gotten a higher score due to its much larger size and components.
Samsung was the top rated smartphone maker with the best average score of all phones tested. Apple has improved greatly. The iPhone 2G, introduced in 2007 rated as the poorest phone tested. The two most recent Apple phones, the 4s and 5, are among the best phones tested.
Overall product ratings have improved significantly (33%) since 2007.Leading manufacturers, including Apple, Sony, Samsung and others have started the shift to safer materials and chemistries.
The toxic chemicals in the devices do not disappear Mobile phones contain a large number of hazardous substances which can pollute the air when burned and leach into the soil and drinking water when buried in landfills. A mobile phone can contain over 40 elements including heavy metals and persistent organic pollutants (POPs), metals representing about 23% of the weight of the phone with the remaining 77% being plastics and ceramic materials.
Manufacturers are cleaning up their act using less hazardous resins, avoiding cabling, using mercury-free LCD displays/ arsenic-free glass; and using bromine- and chlorine-free printed circuit board laminates. They use less toxic, reactive phosphorous-based flame retardant chemistries.
The most toxic phone tested was the iPhone 2G. Download HealthyStuff.org complete overview of chemicals hazards in phones