Verizon Wireless and Motorola announced the new software update for the original Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX. This update includes an upgrade to the Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean). Other Android updates are scheduled to be released soon including 4.2.2 for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
Android Jelly Bean 4.1 offers a better keyboard and is faster/smoother (read features). To check if an update is available go to Settings > System > About phone > System updates. Follow prompts to download and install the update. Or you will receive a notification and then follow directions.
The update takes approximately 10-20 minutes to download the software, depending on network conditions. Installation should take up to 10 - 20 more minutes. It's always a good idea to back up your data before you start any update and have your Droid RAZR at least 50% charged. If you are roaming during the update, you will have to wait until you are connected to Wi-Fi for the update.
Verizon Wireless has the fastest LTE and typically starts an update will out on a Thursday in small amounts and then increases the over-the-update (OTA) overtime.
Improvements also included in the update:
- Sling and MOG application preloads have been removed.
- Improved connectivity and reliability with 4G LTE.
- User’s phone will sync Back Up Assistant content at scheduled time.“My Files”, “My Gallery” and “My Music” have been replaced with “Files”, “Gallery” and “Play Music”
- Improved reliability and accuracy of voicemail indicator.
- Improved reliability with the Email and Calendar Sync.
- User is able to use contact groups for sending a message
- User is able to delete email accounts from device.