Recent research from
forecasts more than 100 million apps store compatible mobile phones
from multiple manufacturers will be shipping within five years.
App stores give marketers and advertisers have a new way to reach
mobile audiences the mobile app store. Apple’s debut of the iPhone Apps store has
provided a platform for branded applications.
greater capabilities in both running native applications and viewing
‘real Internet’ websites, smartphones have increased usage and user
expectations for mobile content”, says David Chamberlain, In-Stat
analyst. “Along with the expanding handset base, users are downloading
more applications. Reach for marketing applications is growing rapidly
and those applications can provide prolonged engagement with the user
and keep the advertiser’s brand in focus.”
Recent research by In-Stat found the following:
Smartphones having a strong app store orientation will reach 30% of the
global smartphone market by 2013, approaching nearly 100 million units.
Survey respondents show iPhone users are by far the most active apps
store users, significantly outpacing users of Blackberry, Palm OS or
Windows Mobile phones.
- Application marketing, like all new advertising media, lacks consistent, accepted analytics many advertisers are accustomed to.
Recent In-Stat research, The Apps Store is Born: Smartphones Enable New Marketing and Advertising Opportunities Worldwide (#IN0904424MCM), covers the worldwide market for smartphones. It includes:
- Worldwide forecasts for smartphone unit sales and apps through 2013.
- Global penetration forecasts for app store OS smartphones through 2013.
- Marketing app reach by smartphone OS through 2012.
- Results of a US consumer survey regarding smartphones and applications.
- Profiles of companies offering smartphone apps including Medialets, Zumobi, Mobile Posse, Transpera, and MobiTV.
For more information on this research or to purchase it online, please visit: