The developer webinar for the Palm Pre has some interesting information about the Palm Pre webOS titled, "O'Reily Webcast Developing Applications Uses Palm webOS. Mitch Allen describes webOS as a system that melds a card-face windows OS with a browser environment.
Applications are built with standard languages and web development tools. There are different levels of developmental architecture. The high level architecture integrate with system manager in conjunction with Mojo framework. Developers can work with the User Interface, Widgets
Hardware and the system OS available on the Palm Pre.
The Palm Pre works via embedded Linux OS. To built apps that work well, he suggests that developers work with the user experience first. Applications launch from cards. Cards can be launched for each function or app. Developers can implement, several kinds of notifications, subtle banners notification on notification bar. The dashboard lets you look at apps that are running.
Mojo Connects Stages and Scenes:
Stages are like browser tabs or windows. Stages are cards or dashboard panels.
are what are put on the stages, music text, and can be stacked. They
can be linked to each other with taps. Scenes can be "pushed."
are included for styling of widgets. CSS "div" codes are used. There
push, activate, and deactivate.
Widgets can be toggles, buttons, menus, pickers, viewers, and etertainers. Values can be pushed between scenes and cards.
depot" database functions and Cookies functions. There are call
services to the GPS, web browser, camera, accelerometer and other
device functions. developer.palm.com lets developers register for
Here Are Answers from the Q&A:
- Games will work best are web-centric games. Networking is available for WAN and Wi-Fi. The data connection is provided and can use AJAX functions.
- When the SDK comes they will give reccommendations for privacy.
- Palm Pre core apps used the same framework.
- Styles will be published in the SDK and developers can create their own CSS styles.
- Local storage is available to store data when user is not connected to data.
- Applications must have one card/window up, but can run in background via the dashboard.
- There will be an app catalog, more information will be available later.
- Apps can be developed on MAC, Windows and Linux.
- There will be tooling bundles for text editors, Textmate and Eclipse. They don't know how many and when they will be available. Command line tools and bundles will be available.
- They expect great performance and will offer tips on how to get the best performance.
- The video player is only app that goes full screen right now. There will be more information about full-screen modes later in SDK.
- The slides and audio are posted on the O'Reily website and YOUTube.
- Jimmy Fallon Late Night to Have Palm Pre as Guest?
- 8 Reasons Why the Palm Pre Might Be the iPhone Killer.
- Palm Pre Synergy Demo from Mobile World Congress with Phone Dog.
- Palm Pre Sprint Exclusive Unit End of 2009.
- Palm Pre Mojo OS e-Book Available for Developers.
- Palm Pre Video Shows Impressive Features.
- Palm Pre Has Physic Functionality, Says Roger McNamee.(Video)
- Palm Pre Video Shows Single-Handed Operation.
- Palm Pre Camera Has Sophisticated DxO Features.
- Palm Pre Integrates GPS, Calendar, and Email (Video).
- Palm Pre Wireless Touchstone Charging Dock Advantages.
- Palm Pre Wins Battery of Awards - Battery Life Questioned.
- Palm Pre to Be Sold at Best Buy.
- Analyst Estimates 1.5 Million Palm Pre Sold in 1st Year - Quick Development.
- Palm Pre Wins CNET CES Awards - Real Woman's Smartphone.
- Palm Pre Loves Developers with Mojo and Open Access to Internal Functions.
- Review of Reviews Palm Pre (Sprint) First Beautiful Looks CES Review.
- Palm Previews New Nova Smartphone the Palm Pre.
- New Amazing Palm Slider Smartphone to Debut at CES.
- Palm's Nova OS to Premier at CES.