We received a news release from Samsung this evening with the official announcement of the Samsung Galaxy Round. Earlier today there were photos leaked of the curvy smartphone with the first commercially available curved screen.
It's really big, almost Note 3-like but has a curved screen 5.7" HD Super AMOLED screen and curved back. Because there is no glass, it's very light, it only 7.9mm thick and weighs 154g. It is being released in Korea in brown only for now. It has a leather-like stitching on the back and fits nicely in a hand.
Features include 32GB of onboard storage, 13MP camera, front camera. Android Jelly Bean 4.3 and 2,800 mAh battery. A video demo of the tilt-a-whirl affect follows.
Special features of curve screen are.
- Roll Effect that enables user to check information such as date, time, missed call and battery easily when home screen is off.
- Gravity Effect for creating visual interaction with the screen by tilting the device.
- The Bounce UX enables users to control their music.
- When the GALAXY ROUND’s display is off while the music player is running, a short press to the left of the device will play the previous track while a short press to the right will play the next track.
- The Side Mirror feature enables users to gain access to list of the album content with a left and right tilt for pictures and videos.
- One handed use and multitasking.