The Tech CARS (Technology of Connected Autos Rated Superior) Awards for connected cars and related products or services winners were announced AUTO Connected Car News . The awards have been dubbed the people's choice awards because winners were decided by online voting from December 12, 2014 - January 15, 2015.
AUTO Connected Car News created nine categories that illustrate the burgeoning world of car tech. In just one year 2014, the news site saw the first major automaker launch 4G LTE, ADAS safety features become more available and the increasing integration of the smartphones with in-vehicle car entertainment systems, noted AUTO Connected Car News editor, Lynn Walford.
"We saw great support from connected car communities in Los Angeles with the win of the Connected Car Expo at the LA Auto Show as well as excellent support from development communities for voting for Ford SYNC AppLink and the open source OBDII device, Mojio," said Walford.
Many news publishers focus on only one car being the winner of technology awards, the Tech CARS Awards supports innovation from all aspects of the connected car space from free apps to aftermarket OBDII devices($100-$150) on up to $100,000+ electric cars.
The Winners of AUTO Connected Car News' Tech CARS Awards are:
- GM OnStar's 4G LTE with Wi-Fi hotspots won Overall Best Implementation of Any New Car Tech to Make Lives Easier or Better.
- Ford SYNC AppLink developer apps won Best Implementation of Connected Car Tech with Smartphones.
- AWD Tesla S won for Dual Motor All Wheel Drive.Best Electric Car Feature in 2014 (Co-Sponsored by Electric Car Insider).
- Apple's Bluetooth disconnect issues with iOS Updates 8-8.1 iPhone 6/6+ with in-car systems garnered over 3/4 of the votes for the Edsel Yugo Award for Biggest Snafu in Connected Car Technology 2014.
- Volvo City Safety with auto-braking won Best Deployment of ADAS Features in 2014
- Pioneer NEX Systems. Including AVIC-8000NEX , AVIC-7000NEX, AVIC-6000NEX , AVIC-5000NEX , and AVIC-4000NEX (with a removable face plate makes it harder to steal won Best CarPlay Deployment in 2014
- Mojio won Best OBDII Port Connected Device in 2014
- OTTER App tied with AT&T DriveMode to win Best Anti-Texting App, Because anti-texting apps are so important to driver safety, AUTO Connected CAR News' decided to give the award to both apps.
- Connected Car Expo at the LA Auto Show won The Best Car Tech Connected Car Trade Show, Exhibition or Symposium.
"We found it very interesting that Apple is this case is not the biggest winner but the biggest loser for winning the Edsel Yugo Award for Biggest Snafu in Connected Car Technology," mused Walford.
What's next for AUTO Connected Car News'? Walford says that the push for autonomous self-driving cars is creating news on a daily basis, which is why the publisher offers daily and weekly news email news updates.