It's interesting to note that Samsung Galaxy Nexus is being promoted more for its "pure Google" Ice Cream Sandwich than for its tp-of-the-line features.
The new Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich took some of the UI features that were formerly added on by hardware makers such as social media integration and integrated into the OS. It also combines Android Honeycomb tablet features with Android smartphone features.
Here's a rundown of the new features of Ice Cream Sandwich:
- New UI - Ice Cream Sandwich brings an entirely new look and feel to Android. The lock screen, home screen, phone app, and everything in between has been rethought and redesigned. Commands that were hidden are now on the screen that are called software navigation buttons
- Multitasking - you can flip through thumbnails of recently used apps.
- Face Unlock - face recognition unlocks the phone.
- Auto Text to Phone - if a call comes in that you can't answer, you can automatically send a text like "Can't answer now, I'm driving myself insane."
- Android Beam - like the bump on the iPhone, you can beam via NFC your contact information or favorite recipe to another Android device.
- Tabs in Browser - the browser support tabs and Chrome sync.
- Screenshots - you take screenshots of the screen by holding the power and volume down at the same time.
- Disable Preinstalled Apps - you can disable any presinstalled app, the app doesn't run and its icon doesn't appear anywhere.
- Data monitoring - data usage control system lets you monitor data usage and set limits to avoid overage fees.
- NFC Support - you'll be able to pay for things wirelessly through your phone.
- People app lets you, browse friends, family, and coworkers, see their photos in high-resolution, and check their latest status updates from Google+ and other social networks.
- Improved Camera - zero shutter lag and new effects that crop, rotate and morph the photo. Live effect can make your friend's face with big eyes or an uneven face.
- Visual Voicemail -scan your voicemails through Android.
If you prefer you can watch the video of the presentation made by Andy Rubin and friends for an hour or a short promotional video that follow.