Apple CEO Tim Cook announced the details of the new iOS that will be coming out this fall with the introduction of the new iPhone. Introduced was a beta version for iOS developers. It will be available as an update for iPhone 4/4S , new iPad, iPad 2 and iPod touch(4th gen) users this fall for free.
The most highlighted feature of the new iOS is removal of Google maps replaced by Apple's own cartography, turn-by-turn directions, real-time traffic and Apple flyer-over view along with serious Siri features integrated. The maps are vector-based to make graphics smoother and faster. There is local search to find things nearby.
Besides mapping here is a list of new features in iOS 6:
- Facebook integration for contacts and calendar, direct posting from Notification Center and photos, Safari and Maps.
- Shared Photo Streams - selected photo albums are streamed to the selected person.
- Passbook offers boarding passes, game passes, loyalty rewards cards and scanning.
- Guided Access for parental/teacher lock-outs of software, hardware buttons, test taking and confining use to one app.
- FaceTime video chat over cellular networks.
- VIP Mailbox for messages from VIPs show first.
- Do Not Disturb - stop incoming calls with quick message, callback reminders.
- Siri has new functionality including sports information, movie showtimes, restaurant information from OpenTable and EyeFree button on steering wheels in future cars for Siri when docked in the car.