Motorola Xoom owners will have renewed faith in Motorola for updating the 3G/4G LTE Motorola Xoom tablet To Android 4.0 ICS which is due out today, June 4 according to a Verizon spokesman Albert Aydin.
When the Motorola Xoom was first released it had higher-end features than the iPad available at the time, it took a while for it to be updated to Verizon 4G LTE network but it did happen. On Black Friday, Verizon Wireless sold these high-end tab dual-core tablets for a mere $199.99 and we predicted that Motorola after being bought by Google would update the tablet. Motorola has come through even though it was at a much slower pace than promised.
The upgrade features speech-to-text technology, ability to dismiss individual notifications by swiping a finger , new launch bar customization, app folders and new photo editor. Verizon Wireless, typically for Over-the-Air updates, starts off slowly early on in the week and then pushes out in full force by the end of the week. To manually start the update at any time by going to Settings > About tablet > System updates. Select "Install Now". Your device will power off and back on and the installation process will begin.
The update IMM76, should take up to 25-30 minutes. Keep in mind that during the installation you will be unable to use your Motorola XOOM. The software update size is approximately 107.9 MB.
If the system update fails to install, you will get an error screen. However, this only means the software did not install properly. Simultaneously press the volume-up and power key to restart the tablet. The tablet will power back on with original software and will prompt you once again to install the system update.
Here are all the changes for the ICS update on the Motorola Xoom:
Enhancements & Fixes with Motorola Xoom Android 4.04 ICS Update
- Email, Messaging and Data
- 4G LTE upgrade issues resolved.
- Device successfully connects to 4G LTE network immediately after DUAL IMSI switch.
- Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) policy improvements.
- EAS security and sync fixed.
- Optimized EAS setup.
- Enhanced Client Conversions with EAS.
- Email search now available.
- Improved email folder ordering.
- Updated Browser with faster rendering, zoom and pan features.
- Users have the ability to save pages for offline reading and desktop versions of websites.
- Updated “People” application to integrate with Google+ and other social networks.
- Improved text input and spellcheck.
- Down arrow added in browser navigation bar.
- Improved device stability.
- Pressing the power button locks the device when you have a pattern, pin or password lock enabled.
- App launcher has been redesigned to allow app dragging to get information, uninstall and disable.
- Can launch camera from Lockscreen.
- Added effects during video recording.
- Single motion panorama mode.
- Added photo editor to the Gallery application.
- Updated widget controls to allow expansion and contraction to show more content.
- New system font (Roboto) for improved readability.
- Improved screen rotation response time.
- Optimized widget sizes.
- Improved device stability limits the number of resets.
- Improvements to Mobile Hotspot connectivity