Which is the best network for the iPhone 4? It depends on how the iPhone is used, says Metrico, which compared the two networks.
Based on thousands of field tests in five major markets
(Seattle, New York, Chicago, Dallas and Baltimore/DC), the study found that AT&T network speed bested Verizon. However, both iPhones
loaded pages at about the same rate.
Data speed is better on the AT&T iPhone 4 than the Verizon iPhone 4 when mobile, while the opposite is true while stationary. When ranked against other smartphones, the iPhone 4 from AT&T had mediocre call quality. When compared to other smartphones on the Verizon network, it ranks below average in data download speed but shines in noise canceling.
The mean load time for an average webpage was
about the same on both iPhones. When the iPhone is mobile, the AT&T iPhone completed
around 10 percent more data download sessions than the Verizon iPhone.
The results were opposite when the iPhones were stationary. The Verizon
iPhone was more consistent uploading data when stationary in comparison
to the AT&T iPhone, with a 10 percent better success rate.
Previous reviews suggested better call quality with the Verizon iPhone 4 yet slower data speeds.
When compared to 17 other Verizon smartphones:
- The Verizon iPhone ranked below average in data download speed relative to other Verizon smartphones like the HTC Incredible.
- The Verizon iPhone is comparable to the Verizon average in speech quality, which is behind top performers like the LG Fathom.
- The Verizon iPhone ranks near the top in noise-canceling
performance, joining the likes of the Motorola Droid X and the LG Ally.
Metrico compared the AT&T iPhone to 22 other AT&T smartphones. When compared to other AT&T smartphones:
- The AT&T iPhone ranks in the middle of the pack on call
performance, behind top-rated performers like the Samsung Captivate and
the HTC Aria.
- The AT&T iPhone ranks near the top on data download and upload
speed, with comparable performance to the Sony Ericsson Xperia, the LG
Quantum and the HTC Surround.
- The AT&T iPhone ranks below average in Bluetooth speech quality, which is
behind top-rated performers like the Blackberry Torch and Blackberry