We learned yesterday that some HTC EVO 3D owners were experiencing issues with their smartphones heating, and forum members also reported short battery life on the HTC EVO 3D. When we were recently at the HTC booth at a trade show, the HTC reps were continually recharging the batteries for the HTC EVO 3D and HTC Sensation 4G.
All these super HTC smartphones have a super powerful dual-core processors that drain the battery. That's not all that drains batteries. Recording and playing 3D movies puts a major drain on the battery for the HTC EVO 3D. Viewing videos drains the battery from showing the video and also by connecting to the network to download the movies on both the HTC EVO 3D HTC Sensation 4G and T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide.
Features that drain the battery life of the HTC EVO 3D, myTouch 4G Slide, and HTC Sensation 4G are:
- Multiple radios to power (3G, 4G, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPS).
- Larger screens than most other smartphones.
- Management of multiple email accounts and synching, as well as social media functions.
- Use as Wi-Fi hotspot with Wi-Fi router functions.
- GPS and access to third-party apps..
If you want to know what's draining your battery, you can check in Settings > About Phone > Battery > Battery use.
Here are some ways to save battery life on the myTouch 4G Slide, HTC EVO 3D and HTC Sensation 4G:
- Turn off your Bluetooth, GPS, 4G, Wi-Fi, and hotspots when you are not using them.
- Manage wallpaper, screen brightness, and the time you keep the screen on.
- Change your email settings to download email more or less frequently.
- Slow down your weather and Peep (Twitter) settings.
- Sign out out Google Talk IM - When you sign up for the Google Market or Gmail with your Gmail account information, you are also signed into the Google Talk instant messaging. The Talk application tracks the presence of your Google Talk contacts in order to let you know who is available to instant message. Each presence change uses power, even if you do not have the Talk application open.
- Exit TeleNav GPS Navigator, or it keeps running in the background.
- Turn off 4G when you don't need it.
- Close apps when you're done by tapping Menu key inside the app.
For the HTC ThunderBolt, in which battery drain is a real pain in the processor, users bought higher-capacity batteries and switched them out.
The HTC EVO 3D has a 1730mAh battery nd HTC Sensation 4G has a 15200mAh batteries, which is a lot of power. If you had more mAh, you'd get more battery life.
We were only able to find higher-capacity batteries that fit in a smartphone without a new back cover for up to 1850mAh, which would not add a lot of usage time. A spare, charged battery in your pocket would double your battery life time. Seido is expected to make a 3200mAh battery that will require a special back cover.
One of our most popular tips and tricks articles is "Top Ten Best Ways to Save Android an' Droid Battery Life." The first step is to add the power control widget and then to shut down the functions you don't use or don't want activated.
Because the HTC EVO 3D and HTC Sensation 4G have been very popular, our HTC Sense 3.0 Top Ten Tips & Tricks for the EVO and Sensation have also been v-e-r-y popular.
The best deal that we could find for the HTC EVO 3D (read review) is from online retailer Amazon Wireless, with the HTC EVO 3D discounted to $49.99. You can also buy the new HTC EVO 3D at Wirefly and with a low-price guarantee and free shipping.
The reviews of the HTC Sensation 4G have all been sensational. Amazon Wireless is selling it for $199.99 with a new contract. Wirefly has a similar special price, and you can get a free SD card with a coupon.