In preparation for CES, NPD sent out some interesting facts about smartphones for 2011. Their results show that many of the less expensive smartphones, released as late as fall 2010 were still doing well in October and November.
Samsung, HTC and Motorola each have at least 1 smartphone model in the top 10. Nine of the top ten models are smartphones with the LG Revere being the only basic phone model in the top 10.
The NPD list for October and November mirrors some of the winners Wireless and Mobile News found in our reviews of the top smartphones of 2011.
1-3. iPhone 4S, 4 3GS - The best features of the iPhone 4S are its faster performance, superb camera and beautiful touchscreen. The less favored features are you can only upload video in 1080p and Siri is not always accurate. BUY.
4. Samsung Galaxy S 4G - Reviewers found many beautiful features of the Samsung Galaxy S 4G and were impressed by the gorgeous Super AMOLED touchscreen, fast 4G data speeds, entertaining media, long battery life and excellent call quality. Available from T-Mobile for $99.99 or from Amazon for .01 cent for new customers or $49.99 for renewing customers.
5. Samsung Galaxy S II - The Galaxy S II repeatedly was ranked highest by reviewer after reviewer. It received top scores for the super AMOLED 4.5" touchscreen, fast 4G network, cameras, phone functions and media capabilities. BUY.
7. Droid Bionic -WMNS RoR reviewers of the Droid Bionic all agreed that it is the fastest smartphone on the Verizon network and gave it the honor of Editors' Choice. Online retailer Amazon is selling the Droid Bionic for $49.99 for new customers with a contract or $179.99 for renewing customers.
8. HTC EVO 4G - HTC EVO 4G reviewers call the Android super phone, "everything a geek could dream of," "a beautiful and powerful window to the world," and the touchscreen "mesmerizing. BUY.
9. Samsung Epic 4G - Reviewers of the Samsung Epic 4G raved about the gorgeous Super AMOLED touchscreen, large comfy 5-row keyboard, magnificent media features, fast processor and super fast WiMAX data connections.
10. LG Revere - The LG Revere is a free basic phone from Verizon Wireless.
Slightly over 50% of phone buyers owned their previous phone for 2 years or less.
Nearly 1/3 of phone buyers owned their previous phone between 2 and 3 years.
Smartphones continue to grow,accounting for 2 of every 3 handsets sold in October/November 2011, up from 50% in Q4 2010.
RIM’s share of smartphone sales dropped from over 20% in Q3 2010 to just 6% in October/November 2011.
iPhones dominated handset sales in October and November with the launch of the iPhone 4S.