Motorola has kept its promise and the update to Android 4.0 ICS is rolling out with the global roaming update, promised by Verizon Wireless. Owners of the Droid 4 should be alert because its software is almost exactly the same as the Droid RAZR, therefore Motorola will probably keep its promise for the update in the next quarter
The update includes a customizable launch bar, enhanced notification curtain,direct access lock screen, usage monitor, multitask/recent apps, folders and new video calling icon.
Generally, Verizon starts pushing out its updates on the weekend.
Note: When the Droid RAZR is updated you will no longer be able to use the Verizon IM app.
How to Update Your Droid RAZR /MAXX to Android 4.0.4 ICS:
- From the Home screen, tap the Menu Key > tap Settings > About phone > System updates > Download.
- You will be notified that a system update is available on your device. Tap Download to begin.
- It will take you approximately 20 to 70 minutes to download the software, depending on network conditions.
- Once you download the software, the next step is to install it onto the device. Installation should take up to 10-20 additional minutes.
Improvements have been made to Bluetooth audio while listening to music, mobile hotspot performance, e-mail options and navigation of menus with airplane/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth toggles.
As with any update, be sure you backup your data first, make sure your phone is at least 50% charged and be aware that you won’t be able to make or receive emergency calls during the process.
You can use the front camera to video chat with friends and family to share summer stories or even just to wave hello. The new Video Calling icon makes it easy to access video chatting apps like ooVoo and Tango.
The upgrade also enhances the voice input technology, typing your words as you speak emails or texts. Speak continuously for paragraphs at a time, add punctuation and even edit mistakes with voice input.
Apps that have been updated include:
- Backup Assistant Plus.
- Google mobile services apps.
- Video calling portal.
- Verizon apps.
- Browser has been enhanced with visual tabs and switch to view desktop version of websites.