The Samsung Galaxy S III is in the news today for many issues. Today July 6, is the first day that it will be available in AT&T retail stores. Issues and fixes have already been reported, while the price is slowly dropping and exploding sales of the Galaxy smartphone drove record quarterly profit of $5.9 billion for Samsung.
As far as a smartphone launches go, there have been few major problems found with the Samsung Galaxy S III. There was a small explosion on someone's dashboard in Ireland but most of the glitches seem minor for now. Some buyers were frustrated by delays due to unexpected demand. The problem that seems to need the most attention from Samsung is the battery draining in standby mode.
Here's List of Issues Reported on the Samsung Galaxy S III We Found in Related Forums:
- 3G Reception Issues Sprint - those who formerly used and HTC EVO 4G with WiMAX have noticed 3G network drops and poor reception. The Samsung Galaxy S III uses either 3G or 4G LTE on the Sprint network. Sprint's 4G LTE networks will not launch until July 15.
- microSD Mount Must Be Correct Format - the microSD card will not work if formatted to fat32, it should be formatted it to exFAT. It was also important to turn off the phone, remove the battery, THEN put in the card, replace the battery, and turn on. If you don't do it in that order it may not recognize it.
- Sprint ONLY - Samsung Galaxy SIII Software Update - LF9 a Security update L710VPLF9, 6/29/12.,- New devices being activated will receive the Software Update after the completion of the Hands Free Activation process.
- Visual Voicemail Problems - There is conflict with the T-Mobile My Account app with beta. Forum users found that uninstalling the app solves the problem.
- T-Mobile Voicemail Notification Stuck - if you have a voicemail notification and can't remove it. Call yourself, leave a message, and check it. Or you can into Settings > Call > Clear voicemail notification.
- Verizon Preview Snafu - an“Ongoing” message notificationto turn Wi-Fi on with no way to shut it off.
- Int'l Auto Bright Light Fixed - in the global versions there is a new OTA update that enhances the autobrigthness feature by adding a a brightness toggle in the notification drawer. This may help those who noticed that the screen is drawing a lot of battery juice.
- Standby Mode Snafu - A forum user noted that when left in the car, all day at work, after a few hours the battery was down to 4%. This problem is also occurring in the international versions. There is no fix except to cut down other battery usage or shut off the phone when not in use.
"There is definitely some type of bug that is draining Samsung S3 batteries. I can have days where my battery lasts all day with really heavy usage, and there are other days where I start losing about 10% of battery life every hour or more. You can tell when your battery is crashing because your phone will stay warm even if you close all open apps in task manager. .. I am trying to pinpoint the cause, but it might be when the phone is struggling to connect to the LTE network. "
Other forum members are having similar problems "When checked battery from the setting, Standby is the one that's draining my battery." To see if you are having the same problem check Battery Setting to see if Cell Standby is causing your battery drain.
FixYa has issued a report on the top smartphones today and started off with the Samsung Galaxy S III. The top issue appears to be software related because a software update fixes it. This issue started after launch and may already be fixed by now in new models. The other issues are what can be expected in such a powerful device: shorter battery life than desired and over heating.
The worst problem reported happened hen the microphone stops working and the person on the other side of the call can't hear the caller. After hanging up the phone signal strength disappears for minutes at a time. The first step is to restart the phone. It hat doesn't help, connect to a Wi-Fi network and update the firmware. If updating the firmware dosen't work restore the factory settings.
Other issues Fixya noted with out fixes were Battery Life (15%), Gets Hot (15%), Internet Connection Issues (10%) and other 10 %.
Meanwhile reviews have been sizzling calling the Samsung Galaxy S III the hottest device of the summer. Over the 4th we noticed some pretty good deals from online retailers for the Samsung Galaxy S III with the following holding strong as of this publication
- Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III - LetsTalk price is$179.99 with a new contract, add coupon code TALK4TEN for 10% off your cart. Wirefly is selling it for the discounted price of $179.99 for new customers, $10 free Google Wallet credit and free 16GB microSD included, it ships Thursday. Order Now. Amazon knocked down the price for the Sprint SG S3 version to $149.99 for news and renews with contract. BUY
- AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III - Best Deals: Amazon.com is selling it for $149.99 for the blue model or white model for renewing customers, new customers pay $189.99. AT&T new customers can get $5o off with this Coupon-Link $50 Off AT&T Wireless with Plan for new customers with a plan.
We haven't found deals yet for the T-Mobile version or the Verizon version coming out on July 10.
Samsung's latest video shows the photo Share Shot feature where all the family in the waiting room get to see the photo of the baby instantly.
Samsung is trying to turn the Samsung Galaxy S III phenomenon into a global experience with events all over the world. In the United States, If you want to want to see the Samsung Galaxy S II as a Pop-Up Experience in Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angles, New York, Philadelphia San Francisco and Washington DC.
- JULY 6 - 8, 2012 | FENWAY PARK
- JULY 19, 2012 | Vans Warped Tour
- JULY 28 - 29, 2012 | Inaugural Boston Summer Arts Weekend
- July 7 - 8, 2012 | West Fest
- July 13 - 15, 2012 | Taste of Chicago
- July 18 - 22, 2012 | Navy Pier
- July 23 - 25, 2012 | US Cellular Field
- August 3 - 5, 2012 | Lollapalooza
- August 8 - 9, 2012 | Union Station
- August 11 - 12, 2012 | Northalsted Market Days
- August 15 - 19, 2012 | Chicago Air & Water show
- August 30 - September 2, 2012 | Chicago Jazz Festival
- July 13 - 15, 2012 | Taste of Dallas
- August 10, 2012 | Identity Festival
- September 1, 2012 | 2012 Cowboy Classic
- JuLY 6 - 8, 2012 | THE GROVE SHOPPING CENTER
- JuLY 13 - 15, 2012 | HOLLYWOOD & HIGHLAND CENTER
- JuLY 20 - 22, 2012 | THE GROVE SHOPPING CENTER
- JuLY 27 - 29, 2012 | Santa Monica Pier
- AUGUST 8 - 10, 2012 | Venice Beach
- AUGUST 17 - 19, 2012 | SANTA MONICA PIER
- AUGUST 24 - 26, 2012 | 3RD sTREET PROMENADE
New York City:
- JULY 6 - 7, 2012 | Union Square
- JULY 6 - 7, 2012 | Times Square (46th St & 8th Ave)
- JULY 8, 2012 | The Celebration of Nations Festival
- JULY 12 - 13, 2012 | Flatiron Plaza
- JULY 12 - 13, 2012 | Times Square
- JULY 14, 2012 | 4 Knots Festival
- JULY 14, 2012 | Times Square Summer Fair
- JULY 20 - 22, 2012 | Canal Street/Chinatown
- JULY 20 - 22, 2012 | Seaport Historic District
- JULY 28 - 29, 2012 | Catalpa Music Festival
- JULY 28, 2012 | Festival of the Americas
- JULY 29, 2012 | Madison Avenue Summer Fair
- August 2, 2012 | Southstreet Seaport
- August 3 - 4, 2012 | Circle Line
- August 3 - 5, 2012 | Times Square
- August 5, 2012 | Lexington Avenue Summerfest
- August 9 - 11, 2012 | Times Square
- August 10 - 11, 2012 | Circle Line
- August 12, 2012 | Third Avenue Merchandise Fair
- August 15 - 17, 2012 | Times Square
- August 17 - 19, 2012 | Yankee Stadium
- August 23 - 24, 2012 | Canal Street/Chinatown
- August 23 - 25, 2012 | Seaport Historic District
- August 25, 2012 | Lexington Avenue Fair
- August 26, 2012 | 6th Avenue Summer Fair
AUGUST 10 - 12, 2012 | Citizen Bank Park
- JULY 7 - 8, 2012 | FILLMORE JAZZ FESTIVAL
- JULY 20 - 22, 2012 | Fisherman's Wharf
- JULY 28 - 30, 2012 | AT&T Park
- August 3 - 5, 2012 | The Cannery
- AUGUST 10 - 12, 2012 | OUTSIDE LANDS MUSIC FESTIVAL
- AUGUST 17 - 19, 2012 | Fisherman's Wharf
- JULY 13 - 15, 2012 | Baltimore Aquarium
- JULY 20 - 22, 2012 | BALTIMORE ARTSCAPE
- JULY 26 - 28, 2012 | IDENTITY FESTIVAL