Verizon Wireless is getting ready for a series of launches in the fall of new Droid and Samsung smartphones as well as other devices by vendors. Some are Droid and at least one is Samsung.
Typically, the fall into the holidays is a big season for smartphones because that is when contracts end. Let's see what's been circulating around the Verizon rumor mill lately.
Droid announcements are expected from Motorola on September 5 for the:
- Droid RAZR M - is s step below the RAZR models with a $149.99 price tag coming in black a nd white. It features a 4.3" touchscreen, 1.5GHz dual-core processor, NFC, 1GB RAM and Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The Droid RAZR HD is expected to the be the top of line like the original Droid RAZR. This was formerly known as the Droid Fighter will come with Wi-Fi enabled and mobile hotspots. A recent FCC filing showed the Droid RAZR HD to have 2530mAh battery which should pack a lot of juice. Other features should be an 8MP camera, at least 1GB RAM, 4'6" or larger touchscreen, 4G LTE access and HDMI mirroring. The release date could be in October or November.
Next Generation Verizon:
- Samsung Stratosphere 2 - i415, 4" Super AMOLED touchscreen, QWERTY keyboard, 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, HD resolution, and 8MP camera. The successor to the original Samsung Stratosphere, probably priced in the mid-range but with some kind of HD features.
Maybe coming in the future to Verizon:
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - phabulous phablet with big features Q4 or later.
- HTC 1080 Phablet DLX - seen in benchmark tests to have a 1080p 5" touchscreen with a quad-core processor and possible fall release.
- New iPhone 5 - a bigger better iPhone with 4G LTE and 4"screen and announced in September and released soon after.
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus 2 - an updated more powerful Samsung Galaxy Nexus, released in time for the holidays.