Last year, when Verizon launched the "Share Everything Plan" it was supposed to make things less complicated. This year's Verizon Edge with faster upgrade options makes it even more complicated. There is a cheaper Max data deal into the mix to confuse things even more. The Droid Edge program started on Sunday.
You should also note that the Droid Maxx/Ultra are not shipping until September 3.
Verizon Edge Explained
You pay for the phone without subsidy with monthly payments until you pay for at least 50% then you can upgrade with a trade-in after six months.The full retail price is split into 24 monthly payments, and added to your usual monthly bill. After 6 months, with at least 50% of your phone’s price paid off, you’re eligible for upgrades. To be eligible for the Edge Up option, the Edge phone being returned must be in good working condition and have no significant damage, as determined by Verizon Wireless.
Verizon Edge begins today:
- iPhone 5 - $27.15 per month, 50% for upgrade $325.80 ($199.99 on-contract).
- DROID MAXX – $27.15 per month, 50% for upgrade $325.80. ($299 on-contract).
- HTC One – $25.22 per month 50% for upgrade $302.64 ($199 on-contract).
- DROID ULTRA – $25.22 per month 50% $302.64 for upgrade ($199 on-contract).
- Galaxy S4 – $25.22 per month 50% $302.64 for upgrade ($199 on-contract).
- DROID Mini – $18.97 per month 50% $227.64 for upgrade ($99 on-contract).
To be eligible for Verizon Edge, existing customers must meet the following requirements:
- Six months of good payment history.
- Eligible for an upgrade.
- Customers with accounts less than six months will need to go through an internal e-credit check.To be eligible for Verizon Edge, new customers must pass a credit check.
You can upgrade after six months but you have to pay for 50% of the phone and trade-in the original phone.
To be eligible for the Edge Up option, the Edge phone being returned must be in good working condition and have no significant damage, as determined by Verizon Wireless.
If your Verizon Edge phone is lost, stolen or damaged you will I still need to make my monthly payments. Insurance is not included which is an additional $8 per month.
MAX Tiers Tries to Cure Tears from Unlimited Plans
Although sources claim the "Max" plans are available on Monday, we couldn't buy them, yet online because you can only get them if you previously had a granfathered unlimited plan.
The "Max" tiers with 6GB of wireless data for $30 and 8GB for $50 with tethering are only available with Edge plans.
The Verizon Max plans are as follows and can not shared with devices, each additional GB costs $10.00.
- 6GB Data for $30 a Month without tethering.
- 8GB Data for $50 a Month with tethering/mobile hotspot.
The edge plans were designed to entice Verizon smartphone owners with grandfathered unlimited plans. This is not be confused with the Droid MAXX which has a bigger battery. Those with unlimited data plans now have to pay for the full price of the phone, they can divide payments over at time period, if they prefer.
When those with a grandfathered unlimited try to buy an Edge plan they are shown the Verizon Max plan. . Swapping out theunlimited data plan for Max doesn't affect your monthly minute and text allotment; those remain as separate line items.
These plans may only be available in store or over-the-phone if you ask for them. You still have to pay at least 50% of the phone's price before you upgrade.