Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Android smartphones will be getting an update to Android 2.1 today starting in Europe. The Sony Xperia X10 shipped with Android 1.6 and has added user interface with Timescape and Mediascape. Reviewers liked some features of the Sony Xperia X10 but panned the out-of-date Android 1.6 operating system.
Generic update kits for the Nordic countries will be the first ones out on Sunday evening; then there will be more kits coming Monday; then the rollout will continue throughout the month of November. According to forum posts. the Nordic update is available now via PC Companion. There is no official word when U.S. users of the Sony Xperia X10 will receive the update.Xperia X10 Update Includes:
- HD video recording with continuous auto-focus for high quality videos.
- Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1.
- New backup and restore application, with extended content backup.
- 5 home screens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders.
- Social phonebook that automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when your friends are online.
The price of the Sony Xperia X10 has dropped to 1 cent for new contracts and $29.99 for renewing contacts at Amazon Wireless Beta. The Sony Xperia X10 is free for new contracts at Wirefly and $4.99 for renewing customers.