Verizon Wireless is in the process of offering updates to the Droid 4, Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX with glitch fixes and improvements. This interim fix is not the coveted updated to Android 4.0 ICS, which is reportedly in testing, now.
The Droid 4 update is titled 6.13.219 that improves battery life, Bluetooth fixes, adds a Motocast widget for the homescreen and better text messaging. The update for the Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX is number to 6.12.181 that also improves battery life, improves Wi-Fi hotspots and fixes bugs.
It will take you approximately 10 to 20 minutes to download the software, depending on network conditions. You will not be able to make emergency phone calls during the update process. It is always a good idea to backup all your data before performing an update.
We received notification of the updates earlier this week from Verizon spokesman Albert Aydin. The Verizon Wireless support page for the RAZR Droids shows "Coming Soon."
As far as we can tell Droid 4 owners are getting the update, while RAZR updates may be rolling out slower. Typically Verizon Wireless starts updates on Thursday in small test runs and the pushes updates out in larger numbers over the weekend.
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich adds some features such as Android Beam, Face Unlock, a new UI and improved camera (see all features and video).
There have been rumors that the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update could be in testing and/or causing problems.
Droid RAZR MAXX update features:
- Improved device stability.
- Optimized device performance to extend battery life.
- Added easy access to preloaded VZW bookmarks through quick key access.
- Corrected loud call end and connect tones over Bluetooth.
- Enhanced device security preventing unauthorized access of telephony
- database by third parties.
- As new Internet addresses are introduced, you will be able to continue to browse and view web pages with this latest Internet enhancement.
- 4G coverage indicator accurately displays data connectivity.
- Improved Wi-Fi hotspot connectivity when utilizing WPS security.
- Improved text message delivery.
- Improved Visual Voice Mail performance with data disabled and visual voicemail notification delivery.
- Enhanced security in Verizon Apps.
- Included a new MotoCast widget to enable easier access and discoverabilityof MotoCast services.
- Modified the storage settings screen to make it easier to understand total storage versus available storage.
- Implemented a number of MotoCast performance improvements.