Today, Apple announced the iPad mini with presales starting on Friday October 26, and sales on November 2. There have been over 100 million full size iPads sold.
The iPad mini is scaled down version of the iPad with a 7.9" screen and is very light.
Best liked features of the iPad mini(pros):
- Thin bezels for more screen real estate making it about the same size as it rivals but with a larger viewing ares. 7.9" 1024x768 pixels at 29.6 square inches at 163 pixels per inch. Light as a pad of paper at .68 pounds.
- Lower home button.
- Lighter and thinner than Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD.
- Carrier AT&T, Verizon Wireless and Sprint support.
- HD cameras.
- All iPad software works on iPad mini.
- Thin 10 hour battery.
Lease liked features of iPad mini(cons):
- Higher price than competitors starting at $329.99.
- Closed Apple app system is not designed for enterprise,
- No indication of waterproofing or drop stability of some competitors. (Kindle Fire HD)
- Dual core processor could be slower than the Nexus 7 quad-core powerhouse.
- The iPad mini has fewer pixels per inch than the well- reviewed Nexus 7 (216) or Kindle Fire HD (216).
The other 7 inch tablets are $130 cheaper than the iPad mini. Apple fans who are used to paying top dollar for their Apple iPad than iPhones won't flinch at the price. Yes the older iPad 2 is $399 but the new iPad (3rd generation) is gone. The Apple website calls it the iPad with Retina Display.
However price conscious consumers who don't need the iPad mini mystique may choose according to price over style.
The one place Apple does not visit is discount land. The new iPad 3 is gone from its website, not reduced just removed. Profits are where Apple expects, exceeds and succeeds.