In order to help those devastated by the typhoon in the Philippines there are ways to contribute aid through text messages and also ways to make free phone calls to the country or those in the country to call outside.
Text the short codes listed below to give a $10 donation to help with disaster support efforts in the area.
- Text RELIEF to 864233 to donate $10 to UNICEF.
- Text DONATE to 20222 to Donate to Save the Children.
- Text HOPE to 777444 to donate to World Vision.
- Text RELIEF to 25383 to donate to Catholic Relief Service.
- Text TYPHOON to 80888 to donate $10 to Salvation Army.
- Text AID to 50555 to give a $10 donation to Operation USA.
- Text AID to 80077 to give $10 to HOPE Worldwide.
- Text AID to 27722 to give $10 to World Food Program USA.
- Text AID to 80108 to give $10 the mGive Foundation Philippines Typhoon Relief Fund (U.S .State Dept Campaign).
Google has launched a person finder for the storm, also known as Yolanda in the Philippines to help family and friends find each other.
Verizon will not charge to wireless calls, texts and MMS to and from the Philippines from November 8 until December 7 as well as landline calls to the Phillipines .
Starting November 8, through November 30, AT&T wireless customers will not be charged for:
- International long distance usage for calls placed from an AT&T wireless number in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and U.S.V.I. to the Philippines.
- Text messages to the Philippines, originated from an AT&T wireless number in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I..
For AT&T wireline and U-verse Voice customers, AT&T is waiving charges up to 60 minutes for direct dial calling to the Philippines, for November 8 through November 30.
AT&T is also making a $25,000 contribution to AmeriCares.
Vierzon donated $100,000 to the American Red Cross Philippines Typhoon Appeal Fund.
Viber is offering a temporary service that allows users users in the Philippines to call non-Viber phone numbers outside of the Philippines for free. Countries for free landline/mobile calls include USA, Canada, U.K., China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand. Landline only free calls can be made to Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Lithuania, Luxemborg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zeland, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Venezuela.
Viber recently added push-t0-talk to Viber 4.0 for iOS and Android.
Viber calls are made over 3G and Wi-Fi. Viber enables users to send free text messages, photo messages, share locations anywhere in the world, and make free, HD-quality calls on iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Windows, Winodws Phone Mac, Symbian, Nokia S40 and Bada devices.