Samsung has announced that its popular Galaxy S phones will begin receiving the Android 2.2 update to Froyo in Europe. Samsung is still with U.S. carriers. Samsung Mobile USA tweeted yesterday that "we are still working with our carrier partners on Android 2.2 for our Galaxy S devices in the USA."
There was a lot of Samsung Galaxy S update news lately. The Android Froyo update has finished testing in Korea. The Samsung Epic 4G, after a Media Hub update in September, began getting the interim "3G-fixer" update in early October. The Samsung Vibrant started receiving an OTA (over-the-air) update with GPS fixes and Samsung Media Hub, which became available through the Kies app. The T-Mobile Forum warned Samsung Vibrant owners that the Android 2.2 update was delayed. There were minor updates to the Samsung Captivate and Samsung Fascinate in late September.
European Samsung Galaxy S 19000 owners are able to update their
phones via the Kies computer app for Android 2.2
Froyo, build I9000 JPM. The update includes great Froyo functions,
ability to save on the microSD card, faster speeds, a new Gmail app, and
Adobe Flash support. The Samsung Galaxy S 1900 is very similar to the Samsung Captivate.
American Samsung Galaxy S owners should love all the new features in the update, which include:
- Android 2.2 JIT compiler.
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1 compatibility.
- New Android Market with auto-updating.
- Speed improvements.
- Pinch-to-zoom homescreen flyover.
- Improved default keyboard.
- Quick links to "GPS" and "Auto rotation" toggles on notification bar added.
- Slightly different graphics and transitions with app drawer and default icon dock.
- Colored icons in settings.
- GPS Fix.
- Colored settings icons.
- Media Hub.
- Darker menu theme; navy blue color.
- Better Exchange support.
- Video records in MP4 format.
- New Search widget.
- New Gmail application.
All Samsung Galaxy S phones
have a super fast 1GHz hummingbird processor with efficient 3D graphics
processing, Super AMOLED 4-inch touchsreen, 5-megapixel camera,
microSD, Wi-Fi, and Android 2.1. Samsung has added on TouchWiz software
for a social hub as well as a media hub for online viewing.
Differences come in the amount of internal storage, size of the microSD
card included, mobile hotspot capabilities, keyboard style and the speed
of data networks.
We will be exploring the Samsung Galaxy S phone series in future articles. Check the Samsung Galaxy S page to see when they appear.
- Top Ten Best Tips an' Tricks for Samsung Galaxy S Phones.
- Top Ten (Plus) Best Coolest Free Android an' Droid Apps Review of Reviews.
- Samsung Galaxy S Phones Compared: Epic 4G, Fascinate, Captivate, Vibrant, Tab.
- Samsung Galaxy S News: Samsung Fascinate Will Google with Android 2.2 - How to Google Now.
- Samsung Galaxy S: Samsung Epic 4G has ANADIGIC AWT6264.
- Samsung Fascinate Goes On Sale Online 2Day, in Stores 2Morrow.
- Review: Samsung Fascinate (Verizon), Review of Reviews.
- Droid X vs Samsung Fascinate - Which Will Win the Android Galaxy?