We downloaded the update and completed it with only one glitch. It took about 5 minutes to download the first file with 3 bars of signal over 3G. It's probably faster with Wi-Fi.
We didn't wait for a notification from Verizon. We started the update through the Droid X menus. Here's how we did it:
- From the main menu, click on Menu.
- Select Settings.
- Select About phone.
- Select System updates.
- Select Download to continue with the download of the update.
- Once the download is complete, select Install now.
- When Software installation is complete, select OK
After downloading the update, it took 5-10 minutes for the software to update on the Droid X. You see a screen with a box and the green Android Character. Then the Droid X had to reboot. This made the spring-loaded Droid sound as it's reloading.
When updating any Droid phone, be sure that your battery is at 40% charged and that you have at least half an hour to wait for the process to complete. Just in case, you should also backup your contacts, photos, and note what software you had installed.
You cannot use your phone or make emergency calls during the update. Some settings and applications will revert to default but may be resynced or reset following the completion of the upgrade.
We only experienced one minor glitch during the update process. When the Droid X turned back on, there was a frozen Motorola screen. The fix was to pull out the battery and the microSD card, reinsert them, close the cover and turn on the Droid X.
Update 10/03/10 - Our editor experienced the Motorola "M" Screen of death. She was able to restore the Droid X via a factory reset aka hard reset. that also removed all installed data.
Droid X and Android Articles
- Android 2.2 Froyo Update to Droid X Ready 2Morrow.
- VZW Top Best Droid X Tips an' Tricks.
- Top Best Android an' Droid Phones Now an' Later.
- Droid X vs. Samsung Fascinate Comparison.
- Top Best Data Use Features of Droid X.
Droid Incredible vs Droid X.Review of Reviews Motorola Droid X.
- Top Ten Best Ways to Save Android an' Droid Battery Life - Tips Review of Reviews.
- Android an' Droid News: Mobile Flash 10.1 Demoed on Droid X Android 2.2 FroYo.