The T-Mobile version of the Samsung Galaxy S II is being updated to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Android Jelly Bean 4.1 offers a better keyboard and is faster/smoother (read features). We have not been able to verify if the update includes the features also found on the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II however, we suspect the update does have:
- Smart Stay to keep the screen on while viewing it.
- Direct Call converts text messages to voice when the phone is near your ear.
- Pop Up Play lets users view video and other content at the same time.
- Google Now.
- Easy Mode: A simpler home screen setup designed for first-time smartphone users
- Blocking Mode:
- Power Saving Mode.
If you don't have Kies, you can download it from Samsung. Before starting the update be sure to backup your data and make sure your battery is at least 50% charged. Installation will take a few minutes. you will not be able to make calls during the update process.
Here's How to Update Your Samsung Galaxy S II to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean:
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy S II to your PC or laptop using the supplied USB cable. Ensure that Kies recognizes your device by looking in the upper section of the left-bar navigation menu. Your device should be listed.
- Kies Device Once Kies recognizes the device you will see a screen stating new firmware is available.
- Click Update.
- Read through the Caution pop-up and, if you agree, click to populate the I have read all of the above information checkbox.
- Read the Allow saving of information statement and select Allow saving or Proceed without saving and then click Start upgrade.
- After a few minutes, Kies will then begin transferring the firmware binary to the device.
- Then after a while the upgrade is completed.
- If you completed a data backup from your device to Kies prior to performing the update, you can now restore that data back to the device under the new Jelly Bean operating system.