Update 02/24/11 The update for the Samsung Galaxy S Samsung Captivate is now live and requires Kies Mini installed on a computer.
Update 02/23/11:AT&T will release a link to the update to Android 2.2 Froyo for the Samsung Captivate update on 2/24. The Nexus S is getting a minor update to Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread.
Update 02/18/11: Sprint will release an update to Android 2.2 Froyo for the Samsung Epic 4G on 2/22.
Update 01/20/11: The Samsung Vibrant will start getting an update to Android 2.2 tomorrow 1/21
Update 01/19/11: The latest Samsung Galaxy S update news is that the update to Android 2.2 Froyo is promised ASAP.
Other U.S. Samsung Galaxy S smartphone owners in the U.S., including the Samsung Fascinate and Samsung Continuum are still waiting.
Some bloggers interpreted the UK tweet to mean that U.S. Samsung Galaxy S owners would also be updated by November. However, the Samsung Mobile USA Twitter page denies that date and tweeted, "that tweet was from UK counterparts. In the USA we are working with carrier partners to release Froyo this year."
The Samsung Galaxy S update includes many well-liked features, including an Adobe Flash compatibility, speed improvements, better keyboard, Samsung Media Hub, better Microsoft Exchange support, and storing of apps on the microSD card (see list of update features). The update is also supposed to have a fix for a bug that has sometimes disabled the GPS to lock on the Galaxy S phones.
There was a lot of Samsung Galaxy S update news lately:
- The Froyo update was made available in Europe.
- The Android Froyo update finished testing in Korea.
- The Samsung Epic 4G, after a Media Hub update in September, began getting the interim "3G-fixer" update in early October.
- The Samsung Vibrant started sending an OTA (over-the-air) update with GPS fixes and Samsung Media Hub, which became available through the Kies app.
- The T-Mobile Forum warned Samsung Vibrant owners that the Android 2.2 update was delayed.
- There were minor updates to the Samsung Captivate and Samsung Fascinate in late September.
Many of the Samsung Galaxy S phones were named in Wireless and Mobile News' Review of Reviews Top Ten Best Android an' Droid Phones Now an' Later.
All Samsung Galaxy S phones have a super fast 1GHz hummingbird processor with efficient 3D-graphics processing, Super AMOLED 4-inch touchsreen, 5-megapixel camera, microSD, Wi-Fi, and Android 2.1. Samsung has added on TouchWiz software for a social hub as well as a media hub for online viewing. Differences come in the amount of internal storage, size of the microSD card included, mobile hotspot capabilities, keyboard style and the speed of data networks.
We will be exploring the Samsung Galaxy S phone series in future articles. Check the Samsung Galaxy S page to see when they appear.
- Top Ten Best Tips an' Tricks for Samsung Galaxy S Phones.
- Top Ten (Plus) Best Coolest Free Android an' Droid Apps Review of Reviews.
- Samsung Galaxy S Phones Compared: Epic 4G, Fascinate, Captivate, Vibrant, Tab.
- Samsung Galaxy S News: Samsung Fascinate Will Google with Android 2.2 - How to Google Now.
- Samsung Galaxy S: Samsung Epic 4G has ANADIGIC AWT6264.
- Samsung Fascinate Goes On Sale Online 2Day, in Stores 2Morrow.
- Review: Samsung Fascinate (Verizon), Review of Reviews.
- Droid X vs Samsung Fascinate - Which Will Win the Android Galaxy?