Tonight was a night of contradictions, driving to the Palm Pre VIP event in Hollywood, it was raining and the sun was shining at the same time.
Raleigh Studios was transformed into an urban interactive farmer's market, fresh flowers, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables and fresh tech. Umbrellas dripped with rain, while high heeled golden sandals waded through puddles. The Palm Pre, home-grown on a Silicon Valley farm was brought to the glitteratti market.
Just like you squeeze tomatoes and thump melons, people were sampling the Palm Pre. Here are some things, I noticed
- The Palm Pre's keys although small have a clicky-stickiness to them, the textures make it clear that you are clicking the keys. There is a dedicated @ sign and period key to avoid funky shifting.
- The auto rotate accelerometer works for the browser and photographs and rotates in 90 degree intervals so that when you show the web page to someone else they see in the correct direction. An iPhoner party attendee was jealous of the function, for only photographs rotate on the iPhone.
- The Palm Pre's universal search function works like magic, checking contacts, and the web. The demo guy was able to bring up a photo of my favorite yorkie-poo within seconds to compare to his Labradoodle.
- Sprint CEO Dan Hesse pointed out that the Palm Pre is $1200 less expensive than an iPhone over a two-year period.
- When you have an appointment in your calendar in the Palm Pre and you are late, the Palm Pre will look up the email address of the people in the meeting and offer a way to send a "I'm late message."
- Probably the neatest feature, I hadn't seen before is when there is an address showing in either a contact or on the web, and you tap on the address, you will automatically taken to a map by the Palm Pre
- Multitasking has been mentioned before, but it was fun to see a song playing while surfing the net.
There was lovely California style food served and a fun jazz band, outside on the studio lot. Then we were told to go inside for the presentation, we told no cameras, recording of any kind, and please turn off all devices. Note: TURN OFF ALL DEVICES
Jason Alexander joked, "This phone has the power to end my marriage and start a new one. It's that powerful."
They showed the new Palm Pre commercial, a girl on rock surrounded by a thousand King Fu dancers all moving in different directions.
Palm executive, Ed Colligan talked about the Zen of Pre, so that you can live life more seamlessly.
It was heartening to hear that social networking has helped Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.
But here's where life imitates art or vice a versa. Jerry Seinfeld, delivered a great routine and he talked about friends who take out their smartphones at lunch, put them on the table and watch the phone, implying, "You better be better than my phone."
Then Jerry bemoaned in his own inimitable way,"What about those people who twiddle their keyboards while they are talking to you?" (While several members of the audience were pawing their Palm Pres, surfing the web, tweeting, and god knows what.)
Here are more humorous points Seinfeld made, I may have missed a few words because I followed the rules of no recording devices..and I was laughing so hard, my handwriting was crooked.
Jerry observed how personal phones are, and when someone offers him their phone he thinks, "I really don't want to deal with other people's face screen grease."
Jerry also giggled-whined about his wife's BlackBerry, it was bad enough when she used ot in the car while he was driving, but then she took it to bed!
Jerry said he was going to get a Palm Pre.
The folksie farm-girl side of the Palm Pre was shown in the human desire for community we all have, which Jerry Seinfeld voiced by saying people walk around and say, "I've got to go OUT."
People need to go out. Jerry observed about how much work it was to get to the event. "You married folks, I give you even more credit...We're all here, because we have nothing else better to do."
It's that social side of humans that the Palm Pre does best, collecting all the contacts in one place, reminding you of your appointments and helping you to send email when you are late.
Then when the presentation was over, I had a very nice conversation with some local photographers who also loved it when Jerry talked about people thumbing their phones while talking. The Palm Pre gave us a wonderful opportunity to socialize because the Palm Pre filled another need we all have, "we need something to talk about."
You can view the new Palm Pre commercial on their Facebook page.
For you star lovers here's a list of the celebs at the party:
- Shannon Elizabeth
- Spencer Grammer
- Jordan Farmar
- Maggie Grace
- Peter Fonda
- Ray Toro
- Paul Tuivai
- James Avery
- Lauren Storm (note not related to RIM's BlackBerry Storm)
- Hal Sparks
Most Recent Articles in the Category Palm Pre.
- Palm Pre News: Secret Comedian, Touchstone and Inventory
- Palm Pre News Pre-Launch: Week in Review and New Details.
- Palm Pre News D7 Delights.
- Palm Pre News Wednesday
- Palm Pre News: Business and Gesture Details.
- Palm Pre: Best Features - Why So Hyped, Why So Good.
- Palm Pre News: Party, Limited Supply, Unlimited Plans and Projections.
- Palm Pre Official Relase Date June 6.
- Palm Pre News: Advocates, NASCAR Racing and Launch Date?
- Palm Pre News: Best Buy Teaser, Contest, Price, Wins Poll Over iPhone and Release Date?
- Palm Pre News: Review Units, Touchy Touchstone Price, Limited, Apps Appear & Launch?
- Palm Pre News 2Day: Sprint Employees Fired, FAQ & Bell Canada.
- Palm Pre News 2Day: Best Buy June 7, Commercial and TwitPic.
- Palm Pre News this Week: Tweets, Molls and WebOS Notebooks.
- Palm to Make Little Sister of the Palm Pre: Pre-Mini, Pixie, Eos.
- Palm Pre Featured in Sprint's e-Ads.
- Palm Pre Costs $170.02 to Make Says iSuppli.
- Palm Pre Pricing @ $150?YouTube and Super Hero.
- Palm Pre Jolie Loves It, AT&T Attacks It & Playboy Lusts.
- Palm Pre Full Page Ad in WSJ.
- Palm Pre Release Date Most Likely May 17.
- Palm Pre Is a Winner, Says Fox News.
- Sprint Training for Palm Pre, Release Soon?
- Palm Pre Release Date and Price Tweets.
- Palm Pre Compete Numbers Show It Competes with iPhone.
- Palm Corrects McNamee's Exaggerations over Palm Pre.
- Palm Tweeted No Delay for Palm Pre.
- Palm Pre webOS Mojo Developer Video Released.
- Jimmy Fallon Late Night to Have Palm Pre as Guest?
- 8 Reasons Why the Palm Pre Might Be the iPhone Killer.
- Palm Pre Synergy Demo from Mobile World Congress with Phone Dog.
- Palm Pre Sprint Exclusive Unit End of 2009.
- Palm Pre Mojo OS e-Book Available for Developers.
- Palm Pre Video Shows Impressive Features.
- Palm Pre Has Physic Functionality, Says Roger McNamee.(Video)
- Palm Pre Video Shows Single-Handed Operation.
- Palm Pre Camera Has Sophisticated DxO Features.
- Palm Pre Integrates GPS, Calendar, and Email (Video).
- Palm Pre Wireless Touchstone Charging Dock Advantages.
- Palm Pre Wins Battery of Awards - Battery Life Questioned.
- Palm Pre to Be Sold at Best Buy.
- Analyst Estimates 1.5 Million Palm Pre Sold in 1st Year - Quick Development.
- Palm Pre Wins CNET CES Awards - Real Woman's Smartphone.
- Palm Pre Loves Developers with Mojo and Open Access to Internal Functions.
- Review of Reviews Palm Pre (Sprint) First Beautiful Looks CES Review.
- Palm Previews New Nova Smartphone the Palm Pre.
- New Amazing Palm Slider Smartphone to Debut at CES.
- Palm's Nova OS to Premier at CES.